Welcome to my World

Welcome to my World

Helpful Uses for Landscape Fabric


I don't like using landscape fabric in my flower beds. Over time it collects dirt and weeds and unwanted grass grow on it. When you pull the weeds, the landscape fabric comes up too because the roots have grown down through it.That's the negative... The positive uses I've found for it. make it  one of those things my potting shed is never without.
Birdbaths, all my flower pots, yard ornaments & decorative rocks are set on a small  sheet.
When replacing or adding new mulch I scrape back the old & lay the landscape fabric where I'm going to be setting whatever. 
In the first pic on the left, you can see I've scraped away the old mulch and laid down my circle of landscape fabric, I'll now cover the whole area with new mulch. When the birdbath is moved or put away for Winter, the base will be somewhat clean and will have not sunk into the dirt.
In the second pic, I line all my outdoor planters, large or small, with landscape fabric. The benefits of doing this are, the roots of the plant never leave the the pot, so if the pot has to be moved or transplanted the task is much easier and less stress on the plant. I cut a circle of landscape fabric quite a bit bigger than the bottom of the pot,then cut slits all around the circumference so it tucks down into the pot and up the sides . I like to have about 3-4 inches up the sides.
With the landscape fabric under the planter and the planter lined  eliminates a lot of mess and really preserves the planter.
Don't forget if your making a sandbox......line it with landscape fabric. If your recycling old tires as planters, placing a circle of landscape fabric inside, larger than the opening, is the only way to manage them and keep the dirt inside the tire-planter.
In planting Bamboo or other plants (spreading-plants) you don't want to spread, dig the hole your going to be planting in considerably bigger than you need. Line the hole & take the landscape fabric up out & cover the ground around the plant. Don't skimp on the landscape fabric.



Here's another example of using landscape fabric. Click on the image to go to the post









No comments :