Welcome to my World

Welcome to my World

The Loss of a Beloved Pet



This past weekend My Cousin Della posted this on her Facebook wall. I had just gone to the closet to put away some coats and saw Luke's coat. Luke was my best friend, protector and a beloved rescue dog I had lost a few years ago. When he was very young he would go to the coat closet, open the door and jerk my coat off the hanger then bring it to me.....to take him out for our evening walk. Through the years I kept the coat hanging in the coat closet, long after I didn't wear it-couldn't wear it....it was also Luke's favorite thing to drag around the house, for Luke. I still keep the coat in the closet though we moved.....my heart  can't bear the thought of putting it away...... 





I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.
I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."
I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.
I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.
I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said " it's me."
You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
It's possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."
You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."
And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.
I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.

Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.

Author ~ unknown






When I had to put Luke to sleep after a long and painful battle with tumors, my husband was working away from home and  we had moved from our hometown, I found myself dealing with the grief, which at times felt as though would get the best of me,alone. So to comfort myself,  I would sit during the loneliest part of the evening, light a tea-light candle  and write him a letter. I had shared so much of my life with him, and not having him around, desperation to talk to him was my inspiration to write him.

 I've had this idea to design these journal sheets  for a long time and seeing this post convinced me it was time to give others something that would help them through the suffering of loosing  a pet.

If you have a friend  who's lost their "buddy" and your heart is breaking for them and your at a loss how to help........print these pages, tie a pretty ribbon around them, buy a simple-pretty candle  holder and a box of tea-light candles and give to them.....and.....do this for yourself if your best friend had to leave....


This is so sweet...

Dogs are family



CLICK  on the image  to save-as-print













Here's one I did for myself using a photo of Luke & my son.





3 comments :

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss. And I know the feeling because of my experience I lost my beloved dog 2 weeks ago and I want we're still grieving. Thank you to all our friends and to the pet cremation in austin for helping to prepare the arrangement of our pet.

Elaine M. Hoffman said...

Dear Brenda, I just lost my West Highland White Terrier named Lilly Pup on 25 Nov 2021. She died naturally in our bedroom on the floor around 10:30 pm on Thanksgiving evening. I am still in mourning for her. She was 17 1/2 years old. Long life. We rescued her from another family who could not keep her due to their schedules working. We became her adopted parents in 2010 and she just turned 6 years old. She was given to me by my husband for our 5th anniversary. I will always love her and never forget her. I love what you wrote and how you wrote to your pet who passed. I am also sorry for your loss as well. God Bless You!

Glenda's World said...

Oh, Elaine
I'm so saddened by your loss.
The paw prints left on our hearts by a beloved pet always tug at our hearts.
Rest in peace little Lilly Pup, you are missed.