Welcome to my World

Welcome to my World

Dry your own Oak Leaf Hydrangea


Drying Oak Leaf Hydrangeas 

Those beautiful Oak Leaf Hydrangea blooms you love so much in the Summer months, dry them and enjoy a long time. I have put these in a crystal ice bucket, I purchased at at yard sale. I used a large battery operated flame less candle with this one.(found at the dollar store, cheap)





YOU WILL NEED

(1)A medium sized plastic storage box, with a lid. I use a clear one about 16x22x6.

 * and really the size depends on how many clusters you plan on drying.You can use a smaller & deeper box, if your only drying a few (10-12 clusters)

(2)Several bags of this cat litter. Again you will have to judge what size tub you are using, how many clusters, and how large your clusters are. The cluster-blooms will need to be completely covered.


Instructions
(1)  In the bottom of your plastic tub, pour 2 1/2 in.  of the crystals, covering the whole bottom.
(2)  Lay your flower- clusters on the crystals, placing them so you can get as many as you can on the crystals.
(3) Gently sprinkle the crystals over the flower blooms, making sure they are completely covered. At this point I like to gently shake the box and if any little petals are peeping out, add more crystals.
(4) Once the flower clusters are completely covered, place the lid on the plastic tub. I store mine in my garage on a shelf. After about 4 months, I open the tub to see if they are dry.
Taking them gently out of the crystals is worth the wait. THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL AND LOOK JUST LIKE THEY DID WHEN YOU PUT THEM IN. THE USES FOR THEM ARE ENDLESS. I PLACE THEM ON SHELVES AROUND FAMILY PICTURE FRAMES....ETC


For the  illustration  of when I dried mine

The dark ones were left to dry on the bush. I only placed them in the crystals for a month or so. 


More pictures of mine.....
  

When I dry mine I stick a little tag inside to remind my self what date I dried them and add any notes. Through the years I've noticed the age of the bloom (how long it's been on the stem) determines the quality of my dried clumps. 
Here's you some tags to document your blooms....

CLICK the image to save


The Hydrangeas 
MI BAUL DEL DECOUPAGE




Here are some really pretty ideas from GRAND PARENTS PLUS how
to use your dried Hydrangeas 

Hydrangea 018pm4 Dried Hydrangea Ideas







No comments :